SCI 100 WEEK 1 QUIZ
1. What is the primary branch of the natural sciences discussed in the article?
2. What types of scientists work together to address the volcanic activity described in this article?
All of the above
3. Scientists from other major branches of the natural sciences could be asked to collaborate with the earth scientists identified in the article. What are examples of the other major branches of the natural sciences that could work with the earth scientists to research the Icelandic volcano and the potential impact of an eruption?
All of the above
4. Identify other types of scientists that you might reasonably expect to see working together to address scientific questions such as that posed by Iceland's volcanic activity.
a, b, and c only
5. Alfred Wegener noticed that Africa and South America seemed to fit together. What part of the scientific method does this correlate with?
Asking a question
Forming a hypothesis
6. Which of the following supports Wegener's theory of plate tectonics?
Fossils of the Mesosaurus found in Africa and South America
History of earthquake activity and its impact on continental drift
Evidence of glacier movement in regions of South America
Africa has land mass on both the equator and the prime meridian
7. Place the following items in the correct order based on what you have learned about the steps of the scientific method.
____ Wegener proposed that all the continents were joined as a supercontinent.
____ Wegener observed that Africa and South America appeared to "fit" together.
____ Wegener questioned how it was possible that the continents were once joined.
____ Wegener found evidence to support that the continents were once joined.
8. Another name for an "educated guess" in science would be a __.