HCA 410 Week 1 Discussion | Southwestern College
Workflow is everything, regardless of the industry. It is extremely important in healthcare, not only for efficiency, but a patient's life may be dependent upon a successful workflow. Visit the Agency for Healthcare and Quality (AHQR) site and view the "What is Workflow" webpage to better understand the value of a good system workflow.
Traditional healthcare delivery systems required healthcare providers and patients to assume specific, and sometimes adversarial roles with little room for improvisation. However, technology is changing the way healthcare is delivered. Therefore, the healthcare delivery system is evolving.
Advancements in technology often move ahead faster than healthcare providers can ensure implementation. The inability to keep up with technology can be the result of cost, but it can also be related to a resistance to change and training.
For this discussion-
• Describe Decision Support Software-what is it, what does it include, and what is its role.
• Please discuss how healthcare managers manage daily operations and long term goals/strategies within their organizations through the utilization of decision support software, informatics, digital resources, and information systems for healthcare.
• Please discuss any major barriers in adopting Healthcare Information Technologies, i.e. Health Management Information Systems, Electronic Health Records(EHR), Electronic Billing software, etc.
o Discuss initial costs of implementation and staying on top of staying current, not only for employees, but the technology itself when it comes to updating.
o Include initial and ongoing training. Do organizations lose employees when new technologies are implemented or updated? Why or why not?
Explain how these barriers might be overcome.
Original discussion forum posts:
• Create a thread for your original post identified with your name.
• Prepare a quality, substantive post that addresses the objectives of the discussion forum and the expectations set forth in the grading rubric
• Include supportive evidence; such as direct applicable experience and expert sources.
Responses to discussion forum posts:
• Prepare and post substantive responses
• Continue to remain engaged in substantive discussion with peers and the instructor
• Ensure that continuing participation meets the expectations set forth in the grading rubric.