PHIL 100 Week 1 Quiz 5 | MiraCosta College
When we apply critical thinking ___________
· we never make mistakes
· we do not take statements at face value
· we only accept statements that are 100% certain
· we make fewer mistakes than if we think uncritically
Tolerance means ____________________
· believing that all opinions are equally true
· believing that people have the right to express their opinion, even if their opinion is false.
"It's going to rain tomorrow" could be __________________
· neither an opinion nor a fact
· only an opinion, never a fact
· only a fact, never an opinion
· both an opinion and a fact
For each of the following matters, decide whether they are objective or subjective.
· Whether SARS-CoV-2 (the coronavirus that causes COVID-19) was developed in a lab.
· Whether risking catching COVID by going to a big party with unvaccinated people is worth it.
· Whether taking classes on campus having to wear a mask is preferable to taking classes online.
· Whether the COVID vaccine provides more protection against future infections than having had COVID.
· Whether the campus will be fully open for classes in Spring 22.
Which of the following are true?
· All empirical matters are objective matters
· We know the answer for all objective matters
· All objective matters are empirical matters
· Controversial matters are always subjective
In this class, we will focus on ________________
· objective matters
· subjective matters
· In fact, we will concentrate on empirical matters.
Which of the following statements are about empirical matters? Choose all that apply.
· God exists.
· The Bible says it's ok to cheat on one's taxes.
· Most Americans believe that God exists.
· Cheating on one's taxes is unethical.
· Dogs make better pets than cats.
· Dogs have a longer lifespan than cats.
· God doesn't exist.
· 65% of Americans cheat on their taxes.
Good critical thinkers...
· are not biased
· try to overcome their biases and look at things from a neutral point of view
· are willing to change their mind when faced with new evidence.
· are simply smart people
· are never wrong
· believe everything they hear
Scientific claims __________
are about objective matters
If the matter is subjective and all opinions are equally good, what would be the point of doing research?
· are about empirical matters
· Scientific claims have to be justified with empirical evidence.
· have to be accepted at face value
What are some of the assumptions we will make in this class?
· It is ok to change one's mind.
· As long as there are good reasons for doing so.
· Everything is subjective.
· Some opinions are better than others.