CHEMPH108 Week 1 Quiz 3 | Mohawk College
Activity 1C Quiz: Reagents
Special purpose reagents do not require an assay.
Which of the following is a rule for handling reagents in the laboratory?
· The grade of chemical used to prepare the reagent is not important.
· It is appropriate when using solid samples to use a spatula or scoopula directly in the reagent bottle.
· Air exposure to reagents and solutions can cause decomposition of the reagent so it is important to minimize potential exposure.
· All liquid reagents can be disposed of by pouring down the sink drain and flushing the drain with excess water.
Solids are weighed by the process of either weighing by difference or weighing by addition.
Chemical reagents are available in a variety of purities, which of the following statements is false?
· Primary standard grade reagents are used to prepare standard solutions that are used to determine the quantity of analytes present.
· The purity of a reagent affects the accuracy of an analysis.
· It is recommended to use the highest purity of reagent available.
· Reagent grade chemicals are the most pure chemical reagents available for the analyst.
An assay is an analysis of a sample that is used to ensure contaminants or interferences are minimized in an analysis.