Computer Science Homework Help
"Database Life Cycle" Please respond to the following:
- Per the text, the Database Life Cycle includes the Database Initial Study, Database Design, Implementation and Loading, Testing and Evaluation, Operation, and Maintenance and Evolution phases. However, the actual implementation of each of the phases will likely change, based on the size of the related organization or other organizational factors.
- Select one (1) phase of the Database Life Cycle, and describe the manner in which the chosen phase would change based on the size of the organization.
- Using the same phase that you selected in Part 1 of this discussion, describe the manner in which the phase would change, based on the distribution of the organization and the associated distributed database design.
"Transactions and Concurrency Control" Please respond to the following:
- Database management systems have evolved over the years to be able to perform multiple transactions and enable multiple users to access databases simultaneously. However, database management systems must be able to manage transactions from multiple users and avoid potential problems associated with transaction management.
- Select one (1) of the transaction management or concurrency control methods, and explain the primary manner in which the chosen method is used in database management systems. Describe the impact and alternative of not having the chosen method available to manage concurrency.
- Describe one (1) scenario in which the selected transaction management or concurrency control method is needed. Examine the significant ways in which business operations would have to change if concurrency management methods were not available.
"Business Intelligence" Please respond to the following:
- Review one (1) of the following case studies, and be prepared to discuss.
- It is common knowledge that in today's business environment, organizations must continually strive to achieve a competitive advantage. Likewise, they are reliant on large amounts of data to make their business decisions.
- Using the organization you selected, explain the key way(s) in which your organization / agency uses business intelligence in order to gain a competitive advantage. Next, speculate on the technological limitations regarding data, software, and hardware that you believe might challenge your chosen organization / agency in the future. Provide a rationale for your response.
Lab 4: Structured Query Language (SQL)
Refer to the database design crested in Lab 2: Modifying a Database Design to complete this Lab.
Perform the following steps in MySQL:
- Create the tables and relationships from the database design discussed in Lab 2.
- Add at least five (5) records into each table (Note: You must determine the field values).
- Create a query with all fields from the student table, where the student's last name is "Smith".
- Create a query that includes students’ first names, last names, and phone numbers.
- Create a query that includes instructors' first names, last names, and courses they teach.
Include the following screen shots in a Microsoft Word document to show the completion of the steps above:
- Screen shot depicting the tables created within MySQL.
- Screen shots depicting the records added into each table.
- Screen shots depicting the SQL code and the query results from each of the queries created.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Submit the lab as a Microsoft Word document.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Prepare database design documents using the data definition, data manipulation, and data control language components of the SQL language.